NextCity.org, a useful website for tracking rail and development issues around the country and globe, published a Q&A with me today on the case of LA rail. The interview ended up being timely with today’s announcement of a $1.25B federal grant and $856M loan for the Wilshire subway extension to near-Beverly Hills. In the interview, we discuss Republican opposition to rail, the curious case of former-rail-advocate-and-now-opponent Wendell Cox, ongoing rail-oriented development battles, and where LA should prioritize future lines.
Subscribe for email notices of new posts
Railtown — The Book
Railtown presents the history of this system by drawing on archival documents, contemporary news accounts, and interviews with many of the key players to provide critical behind-the-scenes accounts of the people and forces that shaped the system.
Tales from California
- California’s 2008 Smart Growth Law Has Barely Affected Local Action On Land Use
- Why Airports Lack Incentive To Support Transit: The LAX-Rail History
- “Gravity Trains” As Energy Storage
- France Taking Lead From U.S. On Climate Science Research — My KCBS Radio Interview
- Comprehensive State Survey Shows California’s Environmental Quality Act Rarely Impedes New Projects